Santiago J. Padilla, P.A.

Attorney at Law

Main Menu
Schedule an Initial Consultation

Experienced, Dedicated And Committed To You

Located in the Miami metropolitan area, the Law Offices of Santiago J. Padilla, P.A., offers comprehensive services for business clients with a variety of needs.

Visas for Skilled Workers, Investors and Entrepreneurs

There are several different opportunities for employees, entrepreneurs and investors from other countries to obtain visas and live in Florida. Skilled employees who have at least a bachelor's degree may be eligible for an H-1B visa. Another possibility is an L-1 visa. This allows an employee to transfer from a company's foreign subsidiary to a U.S. location.

With an O-1 visa, an artist or another person of exceptional ability may be able to temporarily live and work in the United States. It is necessary to prove that the person is internationally recognized; awards, media recognition and publications are among the ways to do this.

There are two types of visas for investors. An entrepreneur may invest $500,000 in an area where underemployment is a problem or $1 million in another area and get permanent residency under the EB-5 program. The person's spouse and children under 21 are also eligible. An E-2 visa is not permanent residency but it does allow an entrepreneur to renew the visa an indefinite number of times. It is for entrepreneurs who are setting up a business and investing a significant amount of money, provided that they are citizen of a treaty country.

There is one other type of visa, a J-1 visa, that is available for people who are researching, training, consulting or teaching. Entrepreneurs might make connections with this visa but could not start a business.

Companies that wish to employ foreign workers or entrepreneurs who want to work in the United States may want to consult an attorney. In some cases, such as with an H-1B visa, the window for applying each year is very small, and paperwork must be in place and ready to go. For all types of visas, even small errors could delay the process of approval. An attorney may be able to assist in preparing paperwork and in staying on top of any changes in business immigration law.

* * * * * *

If you have any questions regarding immigration law and/or immigration categories, please do not hesitate to contact me, Santiago J. Padilla, Esq., either at 800-483-7197, or [email protected]

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information