Santiago J. Padilla, P.A.

Attorney at Law

Main Menu
Schedule an Initial Consultation

Experienced, Dedicated And Committed To You

Located in the Miami metropolitan area, the Law Offices of Santiago J. Padilla, P.A., offers comprehensive services for business clients with a variety of needs.

Getting to America to start a business

It seems no matter how the political and economic climate changes in the United States, it is still a land of opportunity for those seeking a new path. Unfortunately, the process of becoming a U.S. permanant resident and/or U.S. citizen can seem complicated and cumbersome.

If you are interested in starting a new business in the U.S., there are a few special options for getting a work visa. As you make your plans, consider how long you want to stay and what you plan to do.

Here is a brief overview of a few of the available options.

Just visiting

Starting a business in a new country takes a lot of work. Not only do you have the same pressures as any other business owner, but you will also need to meet people who can support your business. The B-1 visa is for temporary visitors who need time to network and do the research to facilitate a move.

A B-1 visa does not allow you to work in the United States. You will not be able to start your business, but you can make meaningful steps toward establishing your reputation in the market.

Pricey promises

When you have a substantial amount of money to invest in your new business, there are two specific paths to help you get into the United States to start your business.

The EB-5 green card program. You, your spouse and your children who are under 21 years of age can apply for permanent residency under the following conditions:

  • Invest $1 million, or in an under-employment area, $500,000
  • Invest the money in a new business, growing an established business or turning around a failing business
  • Create at least 10 permanent jobs within two years

Another option is the E-2 visa. If you are from one of a group of designated treaty countries and you can make a "significant" investment in starting a business, you may be eligible. There is no specific amount, but it must be substantial. This visa can be renewed indefinitely and the beneficiary can also apply for permanent residency in the U.S. based on future employment.

There are several other options for employment visas that could help you start your business. Depending on where you are in the process, you may want to consider some time working in a similar field to learn more about the climate for your business.

* * * * * *

If you have any questions regarding immigration law or starting a business in the U.S., please do not hesitate to contact me, Santiago J. Padilla, Esq., either at 800-483-7197, or [email protected]

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information